The Possibilities Of Me

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Wk 4 Classmates Blog - Crystal


First, I love the photo. The depth and field mixed with the contrast and shadows makes this photo quite artistic. I had to laugh reading your comments on wanting to share the philosophies of The Art of Possibility to everyone you meet. I think I have told at least 10 people including the students I work with about Rule No. 6. I am working on putting this Rule into habit for I know I do take myself and life, at times, too seriously. I am happy that you found a connection from Zanders and applied the ‘aha’ moment to come together with your staff and create something that allows you to help others succeed while obtaining objectives for yourself as well.


Crystal’s Post
Chapters 5 through 8 have been my favorite thus far. I highlighted much of the text for my own personal use to reflect on again later and I even stole a quote and put it on Facebook.

"Being present to the way things are is not the same as accepting things as they are...It doesn't mean you should drown out your negative feelings or pretend you like what you really can't stand. It doesn't mean you should work to achieve some "higher plane of existence" so you can "transcend negativity." It simply means, being present without resistance: being present to what is happening and present to your reactions, no matter how intense."- The Art of Possibility

What I read resonated with me and I know that I will be able to put it all into practice.Two items stood out to me the first being the story in Chapter 5 regarding the National Youth Orchestra of Cuba and the Youth Philharmonic Orchestra. It mirrored a story of my own that actually came about while doing my Challenge Based Research project. The story in the Art of Possibility talks about two orchestras coming together and having difficulty with each other's pieces of music. Each orchestra struggles to follow the conductor leading the pieces and all seems to be failing until one conductor suggests letting the students who know the piece lead the students who don't. This takes the pressure off of the unknowing students and allows the other to become natural leaders.
In conducting my Challenge Based Research Project, this situation occurred with my administrators. I had both experienced and inexperienced/newly hired ones in the same meeting. We were discussing the merits of creating a handbook and training manual for all administrators. Through discussion emerged a brilliant idea to start a mentoring program in which more experienced administrators could train and give guidance to new administrators while also allowing new administrators to bring some creativity and change to many of the processes. Needless to say it all worked out very well and we are continuing the challenge based research I conducted continuously into the future as a group of administrators working to make change within the University.

The other main "Ah-ha" moment that resonated with me was the Rule Number 6. I often have a problem of taking my self too seriously and reading this chapter put that "practice" into context for me. It allowed me to examine further how I take myself to seriously and when/if it does happen again how to diffuse it. I wish I could make copies of this chapter and give it to everyone I know, not to force it on anyone as the book says, but just to give others the chance as I have to realize that we all at one point or another take ourselves too seriously and this does us all no good in the long run. Live and let live, right?!
(photo credits: 1. Chair by misbrzi  2. Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment