The Possibilities Of Me

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Wk 2-2 Discussion Board Quickie: That First Song

 
Do you remember the first song/artist that touched you on an emotional level, not just a catchy tune, but something that sank in under the skin?


It was actually two songs. Living in Pennsylvania my 7-year relationship with my best friend of over 10 years was ending. I had entered a singing contest at the Allentown Fair. I learned that the show really has to go own when you are a true musician. So the song was “Make it like it was” by Regina Belle. I must have performed that song since then a thousand times. I purposefully chose that song because of how I was feeling. I sang and I cried as I sang. The audience, every single one, stood in applause with tears in their eyes. It was as if that song was sent to me to perform. It took all I had not to break down on stage.

The second song titled “Down here below” by Abbey Lincoln is one of those hair tingling songs, at least for me. The words are just so pure and real. I love listening and performing music that makes you feel something, that moves your spirit to think or remember a thing or that person, that moment when.

By the way I came in first place that night. The same contest would come in with the Allentown Fair every year. After that night I won that contest every year for 3 years in a row. Of course not singing the same song, but believe it or not it was always requested.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment