The Possibilities Of Me

Saturday, October 9, 2010

BP5_Simplediagrams


I remember when I was first asked to create a Concept Map. Although most of us do this on a regular basis and don’t realize it, I wasn’t sure how to develop my thoughts into shapes and diagrams.  At any rate I reviewed one or two concept map programs and decided on one. I chose a mapping tool which had great advantages but I found the functionality of it difficult to use. I found myself spending more time learning the tools and trying to keep the idea I initially had in focus. Using Simplediagrams enabled me to be creative unlike the other programs used. With Simplediagrams, I just jumped right in, choose symbols from the library, decided on an image or two and begin creating my project.

According to the websites description and various reviews I have read Simplediagrams is interactive with many other web 2.0 tools. Of course I am not to that point as yet but I know that Simplediagrams is a tool that I will be using over and over again. Simplediagrams offers a free tool that anyone can use to create concept maps or diagrams . It allows you to use combinations of drawings down free hand, clip art that is categorized, and text. Simplediagrams houses a great selection of shapes, designs, and drawings that you just drag and drop onto your diagram project. Each shape can be adjusted and re-sized individually. There is also a pencil tool that you can use to redesign and of the elements used or just create something from scratch. Below is my diagram that I created below.

My Concept Map on Pierce (2004) Metacognition Presentation



I like that Simplediagrams is a software that appears to be geared toward visual thinking. This software can be downloaded free at http://www.simplediagrams.com. It also, of courses offers a full version for just $24.95 and a license for the software for use on up to three PCs is $19. It works well on Mac, Windows, or Linux. Being able to use Simplediagrams to clarify complex thoughts, explain processes or problems is just one of its great advantages I know I will enjoy. So now I can create concept maps, mind maps, and diagrams all in one spot. I can Export my diagram to PNG to my desktop, add photos and post-notes, and more.

My first try at using Simplediagrams


For feedback from other users go to link below: 




 References


Pierce, W. (November 2004). Metcognition: study strategies, monitoring, and motivation.
     Retrieved on October 8, 2010 from 



1 comment:

  1. Elaine,
    What a well written and researched post! I can't wait to give Simplediagrams a try for myself! You did a really great job on this description and I feel that I have now found a tool that I have been looking for! I have tried several other mind-mapping/concept-mapping tools, but none that I was crazy about. This sounds exactly like something that will work with my schedule since it is simple to get started with and provides all of the necessities I would benefit from. Thank you so much for the information. Well done!

    ReplyDelete